Simple SEO Tips for Small Businesses
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) requires constant adjustments and long term monitoring, however there are a few steps that small businesses can take which can have a huge impact on their website rankings. For those of you that are new to this concept, SEO is the process of improving a website to increase traffic from search engines such as Google and Yahoo. If you are already worried that this will be too difficult for you, don’t worry, we will walk you through a few simple tips for long term success and growth of your small business.
Descriptive Page Title
The page title appears on search results as the blue underlined text on the search results page as well as the title bar of browsers.
- Keep the headline under 65 characters long. Anything longer will be cut off.
- Make sure your primary keywords appear at the beginning of the title.
- Create unique and descriptive title for every page on your website.
The meta description appears below the page title on search results. The meta description is your call to action, letting users decide if they should click on the site.
Tips for creating meta descriptions:
- Limit meta descriptions to a 160 characters or less. Google and other search engines will cut off the rest.
- Incorporate your keywords that are relevant to that page. Don’t just stuff the description with keywords. Make it a sales pitch to get users to click on your page.
- Create unique descriptions for every page on your website.
Make sure the URL for your web page includes the primary keyword for that page. Separate each word in the URL with dashes (-).
As stated at the beginning of this blog, SEO is a long term process. But simple items such as descriptive page titles and meta descriptions lay the groundwork for a successful SEO strategy that can lead to growth for your small business.